The Trek Émonda S 5 Road Bike
With 300 Series OCLV Carbon, the Emonda S 5 offers riders the best-in-class weight, stiffness, and strength.
With an H2 fit, this optimal fit is a near-perfect fit for most riders, including Pro Team athletes. The H2 fit gets riders in the correct position for performance and power.
The Trek Émonda S 5 features the Bontrager Blendr Stem by Trek. This is a highly integrated system for easy and clean stem installation of computers, lights,and other biking accessories. You simply begin with a Blendr Stem and add the appropriate base and finish with a mount that matches your accessories.
Take a look at the Blendr and check out your options here: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bontrager_blendr_how_to/.
The Trek Émonda S 5 is built with an Ultralight 300 Series OCLV Carbon frame. The frame design down to the component parts were designed to serve a goal — to be one of the lightest performance bikes offered. The ride-tuned balance and handling elevates this Trek Émonda to another level.
OCLV is short for Optimum Compaction, Low Void, which refers to the carbon manufacturing process that Trek engineers developed decades ago. This allows them to produce carbon framed bikes with consistent, high quality that was not possible before.
The 300 Series OCLV Carbon offers best-in-class weight, best-in-class carbon, and gives the rider stiffness and strength. The 300 Series is at the lower end of the carbon scale, but it keeps the price down, areal weight low, and quality of the frame excellent for a nice price.
The 300 Series OCLV is a great choice for this bike’s frame, as it is compliments the stiffness and weight ratio well. With the right relationship of stiffness-to-weight, the performance of the road bike increases. Trek tested every part of the frame extensively to maximize handling and pedaling performance, as well as ride feel of this S 5.
The lightness of this frame is due to the fact that Trek minimizes the overall frame weight by using just the right amount of frame material needed — no more and no less. Every point of the frame has just the right amount for optimal strength and performance.
Technical Specifications and Features:
- Frame: Ultralight, 300 Series OCLV Carbon — Ride-Tuned Performance Tube Optimization, E2 Tapered Head Tube, BB86.5, DuoTrap Compatible
- Fork: Emonda Carbon, E2 Tapered Steerer
- Wheels: Alloy Hubs
- Front Hub: Alloy
- Rear Hub: Alloy
- Rims: Bontrager Tubeless Ready
- Tires: Bontrager R1 Hard-Case Lite, 700 x 25c
- Shifters: Shimano 105, 11 Speed
- Front Derailleur: Shimano 105
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105
- Crank: Shimano 105, 50/34 (Compact)
- BB: Press Fit
- Cassette: Shimano 105, 11-28, 11 Speed
- Chain: Shimano HG60
- Saddle: Bontrager Montrose Comp
- Seatpost: Bontrager Alloy, 2-Bolt Head, 27.2mm, 8mm Offset
- Handlebar: Bontrager Race VR-C, 31.8mm
- Grips: Bontrager Microfiber Tape
- Stem: Bontrager Elite, 31.8mm, 7 degree, w/ computer & light mounts
- Headset: Integrated, Cartridge Bearing, Sealed, 1-1/8 inch Top, 1.5 inch Bottom
- Brakeset: Shimano 105
- Using the 56cm size as an example, the size 56 weighs: 19.55 lbs / 8.87 kg
- Weight Limit: Combined weight (rider, cargo, and bike) of 275 pounds / 125 kg
- 300 Series OCLV Carbon — Ultimate Light Material
- Excellently Balanced — Ultra Responsive
- The World’s Lightest Road Line with Best Warranty
- Lightweight, but Offers the Robust Performance of Heavier Bikes
- Trek Black / Viper Red
As a very solid 2017 edition Trek, the Émonda S 5 with 300 Series OCLV Carbon and Shimano 105 groupset, will only cost you 1,500 GBP or $2,099.99 USD. For such an excellent bike from a brand like Trek, we highly recommend this model to anyone looking for more out of their road bike.